What is on my grocery list every week? What can you always find in my refrigerator? What is one of my favorite flavors? Lemons, Lemons, and Lemon. In that order. Try not to get confused.
WHY I SQUEEZE A LEMON ALMOST EVERY MORNING
Here is why I squeeze it into hot (filtered) water first thing every morning and why I continue to drink it the rest of the day as well:
- I like the taste.
- It is full of vitamin C, which is a well-documented anti-inflammatory aid and maintainer of good health.
- The cheerful lemony yellow color makes me smile – still after all those lemons.
- Even though it is considered an acidic food in cooking, it has a very alkalizing effect on our bodies. That is good.
- It is cleansing.
- The ascorbic acid found in lemons promotes wound healing and is an essential nutrient in the maintenance of healthy bones, connective tissue, and cartilage.
- Lemon water has zero calories.
- Lemons are considered a digestive aid. The composition is similar to hydrochloric acid, which helps us digest food.
- It quenches my thirst.
- It is inexpensive.
- I love the smell.
- Lemon water takes little effort to prepare.
- I squeeze the juice and save the rind to zest for other recipes.
- It can keep gingivitis or other dental issues away.
- Lemons water keeps me hydrated.
- The lemon looks pretty floating in my glass.
- Lemons are tart. I like that.
- Organic lemons are abundant and cost very little more than conventionally grown lemons.
- Lemons are beneficial for my liver as they encourage it to make bile needed for digestion.
- It is high in minerals such as potassium, which stimulates brain and nerve function. Potassium also helps control blood pressure.
- It can act as diuretic flushing out toxins and filtering our system at a faster rate.
- It contains citric acid which helps enzyme function in stimulating the liver and its detoxification job.
- It contains saponins, which show antimicrobial properties that may help keep cold and flu away.
- Lemons reduce the amount of phlegm produced by the body.
- It is great for my skin. Vitamin C is vital for glowing skin.
Try and use organic lemons if available – especially if you plan to use the peel like I do. The only thing I can think of that I could do without regarding the lemon are the seeds. Its cousin, the lime, has one over the lemon in that category. But, I really like limes, too. But don’t get me started on 25 reasons for that . . .
photo credit: <a href=”http://www.flickr.com/photos/an-and/2817041662/”>An&</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/2.0/”>cc</a>