This post is brought to you by Tom’s of Maine. The content and opinions expressed below are that of The Health-Minded.
There is nothing like a warm smile upon meeting someone new. It raises spirits all around – the one giving the smile as well as the one receiving it. But to keep it looking good and actually something to smile about, stepping up your oral hygiene routine could play a crucial role.
- This study shows a possible link between poor oral hygiene and pancreatic cancer.
- Here is why overuse of mouthwash may not be a good tactic for you.
- Gum disease may have far reaching effects and be a precursor to breast cancer.
- This link explains the strong potential link between dental care and your heart health.
- Inflammation that starts in the mouth seems to weaken the body’s ability to control blood sugar and play a role in diabetes.
- Gum disease may hurt your lungs by making pneumonia and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease worse, possibly by increasing bacteria in the lungs.
Don’t miss this: Sleep has a lot to do with heart health, too. Find here just how many hours sleep can help you keep your heart beating strong.
5 MINUTES TO YOUR FRESHEST BREATH, WHITEST TEETH AND A HEALTHIER BODY
- This toothpaste is safe for enamel – so critical — but whitens teeth!
- It is gluten and paraben-free.
- It is a good choice if you are cavity prone as it does contain fluoride.
- This toothpaste is free of artificial dyes, fragrances, flavors and preservatives and never tested on animals.
- It is a product that could easily be part of any family’s pursuit for healthy living. With Earth Day falling this month, it is a reminder that as this article says: what we choose to purchase and put on our body does end up in our water supply as well potentially harming our planet and each other. With smarter and well-informed purchases, we can create change – not just on Earth Day, but every day!
- If you are interested in purchasing this toothpaste or several other natural personal care products, please roll on down to the last section of this post for Target coupon discounts.
- Choose a soft-bristled brush to not injure your gums but still clean the teeth effectively.
- Replace your brush at least every few months and especially after you have been sick to not reinfect yourself.
- Store your toothbrush upright and keep it where air can circulate to dry the brush quickly.
- As odd as it may sound, per the American Dental Association, pop your toothbrush in the dishwasher regularly to disinfect it. I try to do this once a week.
- Flossing helps prevent tooth decay by removing plaque and debris that sticks to teeth and gums where the toothbrush can’t reach. My hygienist always flosses after she polishes my teeth, but I always floss first so that I can more easily brush away anything that I was not able to reach with my toothbrush. What about you
- Dental floss polishes the tooth’s surface providing a brighter smile!
- Regular flossing helps control bad breath.
- Oil pulling is basically swishing about 1 tablespoon of oil — usually coconut, sesame, or sunflower oil — in your mouth for about 20 minutes and then spitting it out.
- I tried oil pulling some time ago but found it a bit cumbersome to add to my morning routine. However, I am planning on trying it again for shorter increments, as I have read research like this on oil pulling benefits that has further convinced me. Even a few minutes should offer some benefit and I can build up from there, depending on my morning time rush!
- Coconut oil may be the best choice as it has the added benefit of lauric acid, which is well-known for its anti-microbial agents.
- Whatever you do, do not swallow all that swished stuff! And, don’t spit it down the sink either as the oil could clog your pipes. Just discard the used oil into a tissue and deposit it in the nearest trash can.
TARGET PRODUCT DISCOUNTS
- Wicked Cool! Deodorant: their first natural deodorant for boys and girls, providing 24-hour odor protection and free of aluminum, parabens, and artificial fragrances
- North Woods Antiperspirant: their first natural antiperspirant made for men that provides all day odor and wetness protection without petrochemicals, artificial fragrances, or irritation