Now this, my friends, is how to do chocolate milk . . . creamy, rich, dairy-free and oh so healthy! It will surely satisfy any chocolate craving you are having and fill that sweet tooth, too, but with no refined sugar! And, this is so good for you with loads of antioxidants and mood elevators to get you through any busy afternoon. And, look at that! It is here just in time for those after-school snacks!
DAIRY-FREE, SUGAR-FREE DELICIOUS & HEALTHY CHOCOLATE MILK
- 4 cups unsweetened organic flax milk, chilled
- 2 tablespoons of organic, raw cacao powder
- 1 frozen, large very ripe banana, cut into chunks
- 3 tablespoons of hemp seeds
- Dash of vanilla extract
- 3 large organic dates, chopped
Now do this
- Pour milk into blender.
- Add in all the other ingredients.
- Whip all ingredients until fully incorporated, about a minute depending on your blender.
- Taste and adjust flavorings.
WHY THIS NON-DAIRY CHOCOLATE MILK MAKES SUCH A HEALTHY SNACK
The recipe above has so many good-for-you ingredients and smart reasons to enjoy it and here is why I say it:
1. Plant-based omega 3s are abundant. If you use the flax milk, which has a very neutral flavor, it is rich in lignans and omega 3s – both so good and vital for our health, our hormone levels, our cardiovascular system and in so many other ways.
Don’t miss this: The magic of omega 3s for your body and how to get them easily and check out this taste test on flax milk, too.
2. Cacao powder is a powerful superfood. Cacao, the bean used for all chocolate, is a great energy source, mood-elevator and it scores very high on various nutrient rating systems making it pack in a lot for each sprinkle.
Don’t miss this: Why you may want to reach for raw cacao powder over cocoa powder.
3. Dates provide lots of minerals, vitamins, and health-benefiting phytonutrients. The high fiber in them helps prevent LDL (bad cholesterol) absorption and is great for your digestion, too. Dates are so naturally sweet, no added unrefined sugar is necessary to fill that sweet tooth in this recipe.
4. It is restorative after a session at the gym. This is a great post workout drink to sip. You work hard to get fit and the protein content in this drink (from the hemp seeds as well as the cacao powder) is a good match for replenishing your tired muscles and the water content helps prevent dehydration, too.
Don’t miss this: Here is the study backing up this choice as a good one for after your time at the gym.
So, any more ideas of what to eat after a workout to replenish or do your children have a favorite healthy after-school snack to add here?