Step out of the light and into the dark – if even for a bit – and experience what the dark side of things can do for you and your health! Please do indulge and let those dark fruits, vegetables, grains and other black superfoods easily tempt you with their alluring secrets. It is true, those richly-hued black (or almost black) foods may be able to do more good for your body than even some of their light-hearted counterparts.
So, what is so amazing about these shadowy foods? What makes them so powerful? It is all that rich color that packs the punch as it carries the anthocyanins or plant pigments that may help lower the risks of cancer, diabetes, and even heart disease. But, that is not all. Read on to find why you should make lots more room for some of the items on your dinner plate and while you are at it, create a simple, creamy dessert with a few of them that is drenching with amazing healthy goodness!
7 DARK FOODS TO EAT OFTEN FOR OPTIMAL HEALTH
Throw back more of these black-hued foods for health benefits we can all use more of:
1. Order a side of black beans.
Next time, you are dining at your favorite taco joint, ask for black beans. The dark skins of these beans are packed with bioflavonoids that may be helpful in protecting us against cancer and they provide special support for digestive tract health, especially the lower part of our digestive tract.
2. The fiber-rich blackberry is a stand-out.
Here is another one good for our digestion and our vascular system fighting heart disease and protecting eyesight, too.
Don’t miss this: Read even more great benefits to this tasty and beautiful berry.
3. Hearty black lentils fortify us with iron and more.
These dark legumes are loaded with it as well as other goodies to help create great numbers for our cholesterol levels.
Don’t miss this: Not sure what to do with lentils to make them taste great. Try this.
4. Dark chocolate is a treat to indulge in.
No worries about choosing dark chocolate as your go-to treat of choice. Cacao, from which chocolate is made, is a top nutrient dense food.
Don’t miss this: Try this way to add a great anytime snack: chocolate granola that smells and tastes fantastic.
5. Nothing obscure about the health benefits of black rice.
The bran hull of black rice contains significant amounts of vitamin E, which bolsters the immune system and protects cells from free radical damage. Every nugget is loaded with anthocyanin antioxidants, too.
6. Hydrate with black tea for a good antioxidant punch.
All teas are a good healthy choice as long as you don’t add sugar.
Don’t miss this: Learn all about the four types of tea leaves and how each is special.
7. Sprinkle black sesame seeds to add a dramatic touch to your dish.
The sesame seeds do look pretty as a garnish but they do so much more than that. They can protect the liver against damages by free radicals in the body and protect you against many diseases, including cancer.
SHOP CHIC BLACK THINGS
Elevate your next dinner or gathering with these chic black serving pieces and more:
HEALTHY RECIPE: SUPERFOOD STOKED BLACK RICE PUDDING
If you can stir, you can make this! Nothing complicated about this simple dessert that is so comforting and delicious and stoked as well as soaked with superfoods. You have the immune-boosting black rice accompanied by raw honey, loads of antioxidant-rich fruits and the crunch of the vitamin-packed scattered almonds. Eat it and smile! You are doing your body and soul some good!
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup Chinese black rice
- big pinch of pink salt
- 1/2 cup non-diary milk of choice (almond or flax are good choices)
- 1 cup unsweetened full or low-fat coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (or a bit more)
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1/2 cup small blackberries or larger ones sliced in half
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
Now do this
- Put the water, rice, and salt in a medium-sized pot and stir together.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer 35 to 40 minutes, until all of the water is absorbed. Watch carefully towards the end and do not let burn. At this point, you can stop and place the pot refrigerator to finish the next day or later.
- Pour in both kinds of milk and honey into the rice. Continue stirring over medium heat.
- Bring to a gentle boil, reduce the heat and simmer, stirring often for 10 minutes or until a creamy texture is created.
- Add the vanilla and blackberries and continue to simmer for another minute or until fruit melds with the creamy pudding.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Serve and garnish with toasted almonds and mango.
- Serve warm or chill in the refrigerator.
Looks like black rice is good for health, I will try
please do! i think you will enjoy it!