Musty basements to not so fresh garbage disposals to even your recent fish dinner – some smells in our homes we just want to eliminate . . . and oh so quickly! I went into detail about how to make your house smell amazing naturally with tips to eliminate indoor air pollution as well as a few other tricks to keep you and your family breathing easy. As I explained there and I am saying now, those tricks do not include masking offensive odors with canned air fresheners or certain scented candles that contain harmful toxins. That really should not be an option especially when you have so many easy, inexpensive and great natural deodorizers and non-toxic alternatives. Come take a peek!
EFFECTIVELY GET RID OF BAD ODORS IN YOUR HOME TOXIN-FREE WITH NATURAL DEODORIZERS
1. Wipe pet odors away with a simple sprinkle.
Here are two quick and natural ways to neutralize pet odors: One – scatter the area (say your carpet where your dog hangs out) liberally with baking soda. Close the door and leave it there for several hours. Vacuum up to a much fresher smelling space. Two – sprinkle generously some active charcoal granules (used in kitty litter for a good reason) in a bit of thin fabric or cheesecloth doubled up and tied to seal. Leave it near the pet area but out of reach from your pet.
That amazing baking soda? Don’t forget to leave any leftover boxes of it in closets, under sinks, in your refrigerator, and garage . . . It is a really inexpensive, non-toxic odor eliminating solution for a lot of areas.
Don’t miss this: You may find some other natural ways to take care of your pet here, too.
2. Borrow from your art supplies.
Those sticks of chalk can reduce odors as well as create great designs. Place a few pieces of chalk in strategic smelly places like mudroom closets, lockers, gym bags, shoes and even your car to keep it smelling fresh.
3. Don’t toss the peels. When cooking or snacking, gather those citrus peels (lemons, clementines, oranges, grapefruit, etc.) and throw them in a bag in the freezer. Later, throw a few peels in your garbage disposal with a handful of ice to clean and freshen.
Don’ t miss this: Those citrus peels can do so many other neat things, too. Look here!
4. Make your own infusers in minutes.
Essential oil infusers are a great way to mist your room with organic essential oils and a wonderful fresh scent. But, if you don’t have an infuser, make your own in minutes! This is my favorite and effective way to create some wonderful aromas in my home depending on my mood. Here are the simple steps to do so below:
Choose a great fresh-smelling combination of natural ingredients below to try or create one of your own of various favorite herbs, citrus, spices, etc.:
- Fresh and bright: 5 sprigs of fresh rosemary, a splash of vanilla extract and one large sliced lemon
- Minty fresh: 1 teaspoon peppermint extract, 3 sliced limes, splash of vanilla extract
- Woodsy fresh: a bunch of cedar twigs, one large sliced lemon
Now do this:
- Place your scent combo ingredients you have chosen above in a medium sized pot.
- Cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and keep on low simmer, but don’t let water evaporate. Keep checking and add more water to cover ingredients as necessary.
Don’t miss this: I loved how this blogger made her own olive oil candle that you could easily add a drop or two of organic essential oil to create your favorite scent.
5. Steal from your local coffee house.
Well, not exactly stealing, but recreate that scent of your coffee house (if you like that scent, of course) and leave a cup or so of coffee grounds open to absorb odors as well. It works quickly!
Don’t miss this: How that coffee habit may not be such a bag thing.
SHOP NATURAL DEODORIZERS: ESSENTIAL OIL DIFFUSERS FOR KIDS, TRAVEL & MORE!
Check out these essential oils diffusers for children’s rooms, on the go in your hotel room, and various decors you can use in every room!
For even more great tips . . . tap on my healthy home board on Pinterest that is chock-full of great pins to help you get your space looking great, naturally smelling clean as well as organized and clutter-free — all to best support your healthy lifestyle.
Please add on in the comments and tell us your natural way of killing a not-so-homey smell!